This years D23 Expo (August 9-11) is right around the corner and attendees everywhere are clamoring over the impressive schedule of events and getting their convention game plan in order. Disney has announced details for a few Pixar Panels, screenings, merchandise and more that is sure to draw big crowds during the Expo weekend. We've laid out all the details for the Expo from a Pixar perspective - so keep reading to learn more. We even put together a map to lay out all of the Pixar events with their included dates and times! Download a PDF copy of the map.
|Download a PDF copy of the "Pixar at the 2013 D23 Expo" map|
Event Panels & Viewings:
Pixar: Doing Our Homework - Friday, August 9 at 6:00-7:00 PM
The official tagline for the panel is, "Research is an integral part of the filmmaking process, and with a story in hand, Pixar artists set out to become experts, immersing themselves in places, people and experiences that inspire and inform their filmmaking, whether it be spirited Scots, delectable French cuisine, or deep sea adventures." We can only say from our experience at the Monsters University press event that this discussion will give you some great insight into the insane amount of research and perfection that Pixar puts into their films. If you love details and like to learn about how their films and characters come together - this panel is for you.
The Art of The Good Dinosaur - Saturday, August 10 at 3:00-4:00 PM
The official panel details are, "Pixar Animation Studios’ latest feature explores what might have happened if the cataclysmic asteroid that forever changed life on Earth actually missed the planet completely and giant dinosaurs never became extinct. Take a closer look at this imaginative world of possibility and the artistry and production design behind it." Much like Pixar: Doing our Homework, this panel will give you an early preview into some of the characters and story developments for Pixar's much-anticipated dinosaur film.
SCREENING: In addition to the panel, a sneak peek of the film will also take place in the D23 Arena during The Art and Imagination Panel with John Lasseter taking place on Friday, August 9 at 10:00-12:30 PM. The D23 site states that there will be behind-the-scenes scoops and can't-miss announcements - which we are crossing our fingers for a glimpse at who may be directing an upcoming untitled Pixar feature film or feature short.
This event will be one of the most popular panels of the entire convention, with a total of 4,000 seats it is still recommended that you arrive early to reserve your seat - however, there will be an overflow room with an additional 2,000 seats for those who don't make it in.
Toy Story OF TERROR! and the Motivation Behind Pixar’s Short Form Content - Saturday, August 10 at 5:00-6:00 PM
The official Expo announcement states, "From toys on vacation to tow-riffic four wheelers, Pixar keeps some of their most beloved characters alive and well through short-form content. Angus MacLane, director of Toy Story OF TERROR!, a new adventure featuring Woody, Buzz and the Toy Story gang set for release on TV this fall; producer Galyn Susman; and other Pixar short-form filmmakers share their experiences and discuss the exciting challenges of expanding the worlds of these characters loved by audiences across the globe."
SCREENING: It is rumored that the 30-minute short film will be screened during the panel, however we have yet to receive confirmation on this.
AUTOGRAPH SESSION: One thing that has been confirmed is that director Angus MacLane will be present for an autograph session of the exclusive D23 Small Fry toy (a short that he previously directed) which will be held on Friday, August 9 from 4:30-5:00 PM at the Disney Consumer Products Pavilion.
Women of Pixar - Sunday, August 11 at 1:00-2:00 PM
The official Expo tagline is, "Jessie. Dory. Sally. Merida. Although they never cross paths and exist in different worlds, these iconic Pixar females have one thing in common: girl power. Meet a dynamic group of women from Pixar, whose experience and success at the studio have helped craft some of the most memorable animated films in recent history. They will share stories from their journeys and the lessons they have learned along the way."
Though we haven't heard who from Pixar will be at the panel we know we would love to hear from Danielle Feinberg, Tia Kratter, Sharon Calahan and Bret Parker.
Other Pixar Events:- World of Cars - swing by the Disney Consumer Pavilion anytime between 9:00 AM and 7:00 PM daily to learn how a die cast Cars character is made.
- a la Mode Costume Contest: The judging will take place on Friday, August 9 between 2:30 and 4:00 PM, with the winners officially being announced the same day on the Center stage at 5:00-5:15 PM. Guests have previously signed up to have a chance to win the coveted prize for the best Expo costume. What do they win? An extremely limited edition bronze statue of Edna Mode (only five were made). Could you imagine the price of one of those if they appeared on eBay?
- Artist Meet and Greet - Brad Bird: Briefly chat with the award winning director of The Incredibles and Ratatouille between 1:15 and 2:30 PM on Saturday, August 10 at the Disney Dream Store. This is an amazing and rare opportunity!
- To Infinity and Beyond - Disney Interactive: There will be a ton of great games, demos and presentations from the Disney Interactive group. Included among those presentations will be a great display featuring the soon-to-be-released Disney Infinity game. The event has also teased that the first 5,000 attendees on Sunday, August 11 between 12:00 and 1:30 PM at the D23 Arena will walk away with a free, never-before-seen Disney Infinity character.
Merchandise for Sale:There will be a slew of Pixar merchandise for sale in the form of pins, toys and collectible artwork - here is the list of what we're aware of at this point.
- Buzz Lightyear Small Fry toy - sold at the Disney Consumer Products Pavilion in the Mattel area for $20.00.
- Ridemakerz - Metallic Blue Lightning McQueen - retailing for $75.00 and is a 1:18-scale Expo exclusive. Additional details can be found here.
- Funko POP Pixar Collection (photo courtesy of Animation Fascination) with Carl, Buzz, WALL-E and Remy.
- Pixar Short Films Mystery Pin set (edition of 4,000), will feature eight pins in total (plus, variant and chaser pins). Retailing for $19.95 at the Disney Dream Store.
We also recommend you download the official D23 Expo app from the iTunes store. The app allows you to:
- View the full schedule of events (with times, locations and speakers)
- Highlight the events you'd like to attend so you can add reminders to your calendar
- View event maps
- View frequently asked questions regarding the event and what you're able to bring into the expo
- Tips on shopping
- A scavenger hunt
- Ability to tweet from within the app
- and more
Additionally, if you'd also like a visual representation of all of the Pixar events, with included locations and times, be sure to download our custom-created map.
- Steve Jobs to be Honored as a Disney Legend
- Thomas Newman to Score The Good Dinosaur
- D23 Small Fry Buzz Lightyear Toy
Pixar Post - Julie & T.J.