Today, March 15, 2016 saw the release of several new characters, power discs and the highly anticipated Marvel Battlegrounds play set. On March 1, during a special Disney Infinity Next event, John Vignocchi and John Blackburn announced the news regarding Marvel Battlegrounds, the long-awaited broad release of Boba Fett and most importantly noted that there would be a new play set tied to at least one major release from Disney, Pixar and Marvel in 2016.
Vignocchi went on to tease that a future Disney Infinity Next event would give us "an update on some of our favorite fish". We can't wait to see how the team will work with the Finding Dory characters and we're even more excited to finally have an under water play set — (chat about the Dory play set and what figures you think will be included in the Pixar Post Forum).
NEWLY RELEASED CHARACTERS
- Captain America (new design and new moves/combos) (available as part of the Battlegrounds play set)
- Black Panther
- Antman (can shrink and grow - is a technical, yet powerful character to master his controls)
- Vision (strong melee character)
- Black Suit Spider-Man (new moves added from the standard Spider-Man figure)
STAR WARS / DISNEY
- Boba Fett (was previously only available in a PS4 pack, now broadly released - available to play in all Star Wars play sets and the Toy Box)
- Kylo Ren Light FX (light saber lights up when on Infinity base) figure now available for pre-order on Amazon
- Baloo — The beloved bear from The Jungle Book is now playable in the Toy Box. Baloo loves to dance around the jungle and protects his friends by tossing fruit.
MARVEL BATTLEGROUNDS PLAY SET DETAILS
The Play Set features an original Marvel storyline and full compatibility for all Disney Infinity Marvel figures (from 2.0 and 3.0) — 28 figures in total.
In the original storyline of Marvel Battlegrounds, Ultron teams up with Loki in an effort to steal Wakanda’s most valuable resource, Vibranium. Captain America, along with the universe’s greatest Super Heroes, leap into action but before they can uncover Loki’s plans for the precious metal, their nemesis creates robotic replicas of the famed Marvel Super Heroes and turn them against each other. The Marvel Super Heroes battle each other in iconic environments such as a wrecked Brooklyn train yard, Wakanda mines and S.H.I.E.L.D.’s Lunar Base, culminating in a universe-shaking battle against Ultron.
ADDITIONAL PLAY SET SPECIFIC INFORMATION:
- Although the play set is 4 players, you do not need two base stations. How the play set works is different from any previous play set. The characters are not required to stay on the base in order to play. Once you place a character on the base that figure will be available digitally to select at any time (until you restart your console...then just place them on the base again to register them).
- The character's experience level (0-20) are ignored in the play set and all characters are considered equal while playing — but you still "bank" experience points for playing. What's really cool is that you can view your experience bank within the game and give the points you've earned to any Marvel character of your choice (for use in the toy box or other Marvel play sets to further build a character's skill tree).
- 1-or-2 player mode allows two methods of play
- Campaign/Story mode - play through approximately 1-2 hours of a new Marvel story
- Challenge mode - there are 28 individual challenges that can be played for each of the Marvel characters. For example, if you play (and defeat) the Gamora challenge as Gamora you will unlock that character's costume change disc electronically (which can be used indefinitely without having to place a power disc on the base).
- 4-player mode - called Versus or Brawler mode has four methods of play
- Battlegrounds – each player gets one life and a 5 minute time limit
- Superhero – one player is the hero/leader
- Hero of the Hill – players try and gain/keep control of a certain space
- Rumble – players have unlimited lives within the player-defined time limit
- Power discs are placed on the base to digitally register into the game. Only one player can use a power disc at a time, but you can steal power discs from other players and use them for yourself if you perform a combo move on them or defeat them.
- There is no online cooperative play, PC support or Apple TV support for all of the new content released on March 15 at this time – no word has been given if it will eventually be available online or for other platforms outside of consoles.
MARVEL POWER DISC PACK
A new Marvel Battlegrounds Power Disc Pack is also available now and includes:
- Cosmic Cube Blast – Unleash a powerful energy blast on nearby foes
- Darkhawk’s Blast – Blast obstacles with a powerful energy beam from your chest
- Nova Corps Strike – Call upon the Nova Corps to unleash a tactical strike from above
- Ghost Rider’s Motorcycle – Take a ride on the wild side with Ghost Rider’s flaming motorcycle
Just like the Marvel 2.0 figures, all 2.0 circular power discs are also compatible with the play set.
WHERE TO BUY
Click any of the links below to buy any of the figures, power discs or Battlegrounds play set on Amazon.
What are your thoughts on the Marvel Battlegrounds play set and new figures/power discs today? Also, what about the Finding Dory tease for an upcoming summer or fall release?
- New 'Finding Dory' Trailer - A Glimpse at Dory's Parents and Explore Inside The Marine Life Institute
Pixar Post - T.J.