Today, we are pleased to announce the launch of the next phase of Pixar Post - the Pixar Post Book Club (PPBC). The idea of a book club has been in the works for a while and after ironing out some of the details, we think we have a great plan. The goal of the PPBC is simple - create a central location and allow Pixar fans to share their thoughts regarding Pixar books as well as other animation books. For instance, our first book we're currently reading is Creativity, Inc., by Ed Catmull. We'll be reading Creativity, Inc. from now through the end of May so if you haven't already, get started. Read on for more details.
GENERAL RULES, TIMING & PIXAR POST INSIDER
The rules for the book club are simple - we'll follow the overall rules for the Forum. While reading Creativity, Inc., all facets of the book club will be open to all members, but starting with the next book we'll read in June 2014, Pixar Post Insider* members will be allowed to cast their vote to decide future books we'll read, as well as exclusively be invited to join a live video discussion. All forum discussions regarding the books will be available to all readers. (*More details on Pixar Post Insider coming next month.)
|Click to Enlarge|
Our typical timing to read a book will be two months and will break down as follows:
- Once a new book is announced you'll begin reading at your own pace. While your reading, we'll break the book down into sections (as designated by book club forum topics for you to discuss). Feel free to use the existing topics or create your own topics to dig into - it's really your book club.
- We will then open a "suggested books" forum where you can let us know what book you'd like to read for the next cycle. Here's what this month's suggestion post looks like.
- Once the active suggestion period is closed, we'll open a poll where you can cast your vote to determine what book the PPBC will read next. (Voting will become part of Pixar Post Insider.)
- Seven weeks after we begin reading a book, we'll hold a LIVE video chat (through Google Hangout) to discuss the book as a whole. This is where we'll chat about all our favorite moments and even ask a few of you to join us on air to discuss the book along with us. Others will be able to submit their comments and questions on the book and we'll discuss them as well. (Participation in the Live Video Chat will become part of Pixar Post Insider.) You can begin chatting about Creativity, Inc. now in the forum and our Live Video Chat will be held on JUNE 4.
- After we wrap up the Live chat we'll prepare to begin reading the next book in the cycle.
What do you think - what intrigues you most about the PPBC? We have a few questions and other interesting topics already set up to get a little more information about you as part of the book club - check them out on the forum. We even have an off-topic discussion about your favorite book (Pixar or non-Pixar).
|Click to Enlarge|
Finally, we also have added a Calendar of events to the Pixar Post Forum as well so you can keep track of when voting will happen for the next book or when the live video chat will take place. You can even get reminders sent to you so you don't miss any of the events. To set a reminder, all you have to do is visit the calendar and click on the event you're interested in. (In the screenshot below, it highlights the Live video chat being held on June 4, 2014.) On the next screen click, "Request Reminder for This Event" and select when you'd like to be reminded - that's it. You'll then receive an email based on the time you selected.
|Select the event you're interested in - this example is May 28, 2014|
We hope you join us as we discuss Ed Catmull's, Creativity, Inc., starting now through the end of May. If you haven't started reading, pick up a copy and dig in - let us know if you have any questions.
Pixar Post - T.J.